Friday, February 20, 2009

the lost art of letter writing...

I was surprised to find, this week, amid the stacks of bills and junk that usually clutter my mailbox, no less than four hand written thank you notes. While it is not completely uncommon to receive thank you notes these days, it is less frequent an occurrence, for sure. Four in one week was an anomaly. Was I just that wonderful to people? I don’t think so. One was for a wedding present (I sent months ago…), one was a birthday gift. The things I did to deserve a thank you note were completely unremarkable, and yet those hand written messages from friends near and far really does make you feel somewhat… remarkable. Special. Someone took the time and their very own hand to write words just for you. The words are not fleeting, they are permanent. These four little notes leave me a little bit sad over the lost art of letter writing.

I was once a proficient letter writer. My grandmother who lived three hours away and I would write back and forth every few weeks. Of course, each of my letters was neatly returned to me with red markings up and down (she was a former high school teacher, so you can imagine), but I cherished the special feeling of receiving each letter, and of sealing and stamping each one I sent. Computers and cell phones have replaced the letter, and I am sure we are the better for it. Or are we?

After all this pondering, a package arrived at the doorstep of our Cerulean headquarters, filled with the most beautiful hand made letterpress stationary, all neatly packaged in printed gift boxes. What timing! Before these gorgeous boxes of paper could make it to our stock room shelves, I had to reserve one box for myself so I could try my hand at letters once more. I don’t think it’s too late to revive this art form. Now if everyone gave a box of this beautiful stationary to someone they love (and its perfect for the person who already has everything!) then each of us would surely get a beautiful handwritten thank you note in return, and we would have then done our part to revive a beautiful tradition of hand written letters! While I plan to use every last notecard in the set to write something special to friends and family, the box just looks gorgeous sitting on my desk in the meantime. This set puts the “art” back into this “lost art”.




No comments:

Post a Comment