Sunday, June 1, 2008

from afghan marketplaces to bahamian hideaways...

I got an email today from a dear, good friend who is a marine serving in Afghanistan. He wrote to say that the base had invited all local Afghan craftsman and merchants to bring their wares to the military base for a bazaar. What I wouldn’t give to be there, shopping the jewelry, textiles and crafts straight from the hands that made them. I have no doubt that my friend, wonderful as he is, would not have imagined that you and I would go crazy for the bangle bracelets, embroidered slippers, cut glass lanterns or lapis necklaces to the extent that we do. He would never imagine we would want those items so badly! If I were only there, amongst all those soldiers, I could get incredible crafts and exotic accessories for us all! On the other hand, if being there means I have to buzz cut my hair and don cargo pants, (not to mention become a marine- notice how its all about hair and clothes with me…) I will pass. I am eternally grateful and incredibly proud of my friend and his fellow soldiers for the honor they do us all by serving. I just wish there was a way I could get them to become my import agents and ship these gorgeous crafts back home for Cerulean! Here’s to dreaming of Afghan marketplaces…

At the same time as I’m reading his email, I’m planning a trip to a remote island in the Bahamas (I know- lets get out of this heat by escaping to… some heat), but I’m having a hard time rationalizing a trip that wont allow me to bring back something fabulous to share on Cerulean. The Bahamians aren’t exactly known for their craftsmanship of leather goods, for example (shortage of pasture land = shortage of cows = shortage.., well you get it). Nor are they known for crafts, jewelry or art. Hmmm… how will conch fritters and rum travel??? I suppose, though, a respite along tranquil cerulean waters isn’t that much of a stretch if you study my mission statement closely. Even if I can’t bring back a piece of the islands to share with you at home, I’m sure I will have plenty of musings and Bahamian color to share on this travelogue. I will let you know how it all unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment